There are growing tensions in northern Sri Lanka as Tamils are trying to prevent the Sinhalese-dominated army from taking over their land. In a new development, villagers have driven out a group of surveyors sent by the authorities. Thousands others are involved in a court action trying to win back the land they were displaced from years ago. According to the BBC, two thousand people are ...
A prison officer who was involved in a heroin racket within the Bogambara Prison in Kandy has been arrested as a result of investigations into information received by the prison administration.The prison officer was arrested last evening while a quantity of heroin was found in his possession at the time of the arrest, the Prisons Department said. The value of the heroin seized has not been ...
[TamilNet, Saturday, 25 May 2013, 23:26 GMT] Sinhala diplomacy that was genesis and integral to one of the worst paradigms of human civilisation that synchronised intervention of every shade of the International Community of Establishments (ICE) with State-conducted genocide in the island, now suffers from incurable paranoia. The paranoia results from the gravity of the crimes, inability to ...
Colombo is a wetland, and any harm to it has disastrous economic effects, an agronomist said. Dr Andrew Noble, Senior Fellow, International Water Management Institute, delivering a lecture on 'biodiversity' in Colombo on Thursday (May 23) said flooding in Colombo during the rainy season is an example of the consequences that follow when retention lands are encroached and have to make ...
Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) infused Rs 20,000.18 million worth of liquidity to the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) on Monday (May 20) to assist GoSL to meet an external commitment of Rs 17,960.18 million (US$ ($)142.2 million which was met from CBSL's reserves, data ...
29°C Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the SW at 14 MPH
The Verdict [DVD]
It is interesting that Sidney Lumet's grim, but fully engrossing legal drama The Verdict was released theatrically the same weekend in 1982 as Walter Hill's 48 Hrs., an action-comedy that paired Nick Nolte with Eddie Murphy in his first major film role. 48 Hrs. is one of ... ...
Acting Chief Executive Officer/ Executive Director, HNB, Jonathan Alles, accepting the first deposit Hatton National Bank recently opened a state of the art green bank building in Jaffna. This is the first green bank building to be opened in the Northern Region and is the second such building built by HNB. HNB was the first Sri Lankan bank to open a green bank building in Nittambuwa in 2011. The ...
Tourists arriving in Sri Lanka… there are questions about whether the numbers have been correctly calculated For a country recording an impressive million tourists in the last year alone, allegations are rampant that the hospitality industry is lagging behind in meeting the high end needs of the Western traveller. Questions have been raised about whether the training given to hotel staff, ...
With the elections for northern Provincial Council scheduled to be held in September the debate over the 13th Amendment to the constitution has resurfaced. The government has said that no move at this moment to amend the constitution and repeal the 13th Amendment. However Jathika Hela Urumaya leader Patalai Champika Ranawaka said he will submit a private member's motion in Parliament this ...
Rampant poaching is reported to be taking place within the Udawalawa and Lunugamwehera National Parks and the Department of Wildlife Conservation and the respective police stations are helpless to take action against the poachers. Although poaching is reported from each and every national park, sanctuary and nature reserves in the country, the situation in Udawalawa and Lunugamwehera has become ...
Prasanna Ranaweera in hospital, Police report on the Madawala murder and Prasanna Ranaweera The Mervyn Silva plague has once again raised its ugly head in the Kelaniya electorate. This was evident when a gang of five thugs headed by Damayanthi Perera, who is said to be the head of Silva's Women's Organization, assaulted the Chairman of the KelaniyaPradeshiya Sabha, Prasanna Ranaweera ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
The Diplomat SAS Radisson Bahrain
Arriving at Bahrain International Airport I followed the signs through to Immigration to have my passport checked, and to buy ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Sri Lanka SourceSri Lanka Source: The latest news in Sri Lanka
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Sri Lanka Source is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Sri Lankan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Sri Lankan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Sri Lanka news, the weather forecast for Sri Lanka you'll find it all in the Sri Lanka Source.
From Colombo to Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Source should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
There are growing tensions in northern Sri Lanka as Tamils are trying to prevent the Sinhalese-dominated army from taking over their land.
In a new development, villagers have driven out a group of surveyors sent by the authorities. Thousands others are involved in a court action trying to win back the land they were displaced from years ago.
According to the BBC, two thousand people are petitioning the Appeal Court in Colombo to get back the land, which they fled during the bloody 26-year war.
Land in post-war northern Sri Lanka is a highly contentious issue, pitting local Tamil people against the almost entirely Sinhalese army, the report said.
In a recent article Jaffna-based lawyer and activist Kumaravadivel Guruparan, and a UK-based Tamil doctor, R Sivakami, described the process as 'wholesale militarised seizure' conducted through 'dubious' legal means.
According to the report, human rights campaigners said that the process of seizing the land was keeping vulnerable people, displaced by the war, out of their rightful homes.
But the military spokesman, Ruwan Wanigasooriya, described such talk as 'absolute rubbish', saying that the land acquisition was for the security of the people who live there. ...
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- Bradley Cooper not a good kisser
- Its splitsville for Contostavlos Simpson
- Why sex doesnt sell in movies anymore
- News Corp. Board approved companys split into two public traded entities
- New urine test technique helps detect breast cancer
- Chris Rock auctions role for charity
- One Direction to donate 200000 pounds for charity
- Healthy heart ensures healthy kidney
- 9-year-old girl tells McDonalds CEO to not trick kids into eating unhealthy food
- Brazil oil firm sells partial stake in Tanzania block
- KC protesters object to genetically modified crops
- Millions march against GM crops
- Kansas City youth seek futures in tall grass chess
- Kenya Maize Disease Destroys Crops
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- Storm brews over control of US newspaper group
- Witnesses say 17 killed in attack by Maoist insurgents in India
- Boston Marathon runners finish race interrupted by bombs
- Video Tabloid Talk More on Pattinsons split with Kristen Stewart
- African Leaders Condemn Ongoing Use of Cluster Bombs
- UAE minister ranked 67th among worlds 100 powerful women
- Women should look real raw Gisele Bundchen
- US mom gave birth to child after her heart stopped and then came back to life
- 100-year-old X-rays reveal how corset-clad Victorian women endured pain
- Hedge Fund Billionaire Says Having Babies Destroy Women Careers
- Our Ratings Are Driven by Fundamentals
- ‘Clean’ investment funds growing in popularity
- Bank loan ETFs in demand for yield rate cushion
- The weeks best web reads 10 stocks hedge funds love the most
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sri Lanka Source headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Tamils rise up against Sri Lankan armys land seizure
- Prison officer arrested over heroin racket
- Sri Lanka Accomplishing genocide while evading IC intervention Dayans dilemma
- Agriculture Main Cause Of Climate Change
- GoSL Buys $ 142 Mn From CBSL’s Reserves