A one-year-old child died after accidentally being run over by his ...
While New Delhi and Washington harp on either the 13th Amendment or holding Northern Provincial Elections (NPC) as solutions to the national question in the island of Sri Lanka, a statement coming from SL presidential sibling Gotabhaya Rajapaksa reconfirms the unworkable nature of the Provincial Council (PC) model in a unitary constitution of the Sinhala state, Tamil political observers in the ...
Emirates, a fast growing airline, said it will increase capacity on its services to Colombo from June 30, with the addition of three more flights per week. The addition of three more services, which will operate between Dubai and Colombo on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays, will increase the number of flights between the two cities to four each day on those days. The additional Dubai-Colombo ...
Dominican Republic authorities have arrested four men from Sri Lanka accused of smuggling at least 60 migrants from India and the Middle East into the U.S. and Canada using fake passports. Officials with the National Investigations Department say the alleged leader of the group is a Canadian citizen identified as 42-year-old Karunhanithy Nallathamby. Director Fidel Calcagno said late Wednesday ...
Inquiries on import cargo at Container Freight Station 1, which was gutted in fire today, can be obtained from the duty manager via the phone number 071-8688361 or 011-2482579, the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) said. A fire had broken out in the inbound cargo warehouse CFS 1 at JCT terminal inside the Port of Colombo at around 1.00am today, however was completely quelled several hours ...
29°C Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the SW at 14 MPH
The Tin Drum (Die Blechtrommel) [DVD]
Ever since its publication in 1959, many thought Gnter Grasss fantastical novel The Tin Drum (Die Blechtrommel) was unfilmable. The story of a three-year-old boy who spites the idiocies of the world around him by refusing to grow up, making him into a sort of political Peter Pan ... ...
Karaikal: Twenty-six Indian fishermen, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy last month, returned to the port city of Karaikal in the Union Territory of Puducherry on Friday morning, said government officials.According to Puducherry Agriculture and Fisheries Department, the fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy off Kodiakarai coast on Apr 5 while they were fishing.The fishermen were ...
Sri Lankan refugees, who were trying to escape to Australia arrested by Q Branch of Tamil Nadu police and Kerala police from Ernakulam North, at Central police station on Thursday. Images: Express ...
by Sebastian Rasalingam ( May 24, 2013, Toronto, Sri Lanka Guardian) A propos the discussion between Mr. Dayan Jayatilleke, G. H. Peiris and others in the public media, allow me to add a few words - the words of a humble Tamil who comes from a social stratum lacking a voice in Tamil affairs. The dominant Thamillian-voice is that of the upper classes ('castes') led by the ...
A Buddhist monk was rushed to the Kandy General Hospital with serious burn injuries after he attempted self-immolation near the Sri Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic) in Kandy this morning. The Buddhist monk doused himself with petrol and set himself ablaze in front of the Wahalkada of the Dalada Maligawa at around 11.30 a.m. protesting against cattle slaughter, Ada Derana ...
It has been a month since a garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, killing more than 1,000 people. The disaster has prompted calls for better regulation of the industry in the region. Sri Lanka, a neighbour of Bangladesh, is one country gaining a reputation as an ethical source of clothing, putting pressure on manufacturers to improve safety standards and workers' rights. The ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
I walked around St Stephen's Green, Europe's largest garden square, to the Shelbourne Hotel, which is managed by Renaissance, a ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Sri Lanka SourceSri Lanka Source: The latest news in Sri Lanka
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Sri Lanka Source is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Sri Lankan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Sri Lankan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Sri Lanka news, the weather forecast for Sri Lanka you'll find it all in the Sri Lanka Source.
From Colombo to Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Source should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Sri Lanka denied Wednesday plans to roll back power sharing mechanisms with the Tamil minority despite attempts to stop long overdue elections in the former war-torn north.
Technology and Research Minister Champika Ranawaka announced Tuesday plans to present an act in parliament next week to abolish provincial councils and the India-backed 13th constitutional amendment, reports Xinhua.
The main Tamil political party, Tamil National Alliance (TNA), has insisted that it would not contest the upcoming elections in the north if police and land powers were taken away by the government.
However, acting cabinet spokesman and Petroleum Minister Anura Priyadarshana Yapa dismissed such moves and insisted that the government had no plans as yet to change the constitution.
"The president expressly said a Parliamentary Select Committee consisting of all political parties can discuss if there will be any changes to the present constitution, especially to the 13th amendment.
"In that scenario, no steps have been taken to change the status quo. These arguments have been going on for a long time, these are not new arguments. But the 13th amendment is still there.
"There have been no discussions to change the amendment up to now," he said. ...
- First look of D-Day movie unveiled in Mumbai
- Psys look-alike dupes stars at Cannes
- No hatred between Mayers former girlfriends
- George Michael didnt try to commit suicide by throwing himself from car says pal
- Prince Harry names himself ginger queen
- Heart healthy lifestyle may help protect kidney patients from dying prematurely
- Drug target to boost bodys natural flu killer identified
- Boys stem cells successfully treat cerebral palsy
- Turning off technology hours before bedtime promotes sound sleep
- Breast cancer cells release protective proteins that suppress tumour growth
- Friend of Boston bombers had confessed to 2011 triple murders claims FBI
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Brazil to hold oil auction
- Indications Stock futures remain lower after durables data
- Futures slide markets appear headed for down week
- Can NRIs benefit from mini rupee-USD futures
- Wall Street futures rise after chaotic day in Japan
- News Corp.’s Newspaper Company to Start $500 Million Buyback
- Newspapers OB office renovated
- National Association of Real Estate Editors Atlanta Conference to Deliver News …
- The Guardian to Consolidate Web Properties Under One Domain
- More revelations of Justice Department crackdown on the press
- Its sexist to ask women about age says Julianne Moore
- Narcissists woo women more easily
- Rural women imparted advanced training in handloom handicrafts in Manipur
- Doll making gains popularity among women in Tripura
- Greater attention needed for safe childbirths UN urges on inaugural Day to end obstetric fistula
- UK urged by IMF to bring forward high value spending
- Beware that hedge fund in the window
- 3i Group makes offer to acquire Barclays infrastructure business
- 3i Makes Offer to Buy Barclays Infrastructure Funds Division
- BRIEF-3i says to buy Barclays Infrastructure Funds Management
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sri Lanka Source headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Father accidently runs over son while backing up
- Sri Lanka Gotabhayas statement reconfirms emptyness in PC model
- Emirates adding 3 more flights to Colombo
- Four Lankans arrested in global smuggling case
- Warehouse fire Hotline for inquiries on import cargo