Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has reiterated that Katchatheevu, the fishing islet has to be retrieved back by India in an endeavour to provide a permanent solution to the problem of Indian fishermen. In a letter to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today, Jayalalithaa has recalled the various instances in which fishermen were harassed for fishing near Katchatheevu, which is often ...
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa has asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to retrieve Katchatheevu and surrounding areas from Sri Lanka. In her letter to Manmohan Singh, she also urged him to redraw the Indian Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) so that Indian fishermen could fish in their traditional waters. Jayalalithaa cited the continued attacks on Indian fishermen by Sri ...
A part of the 50,000 housing aid promised by New Delhi for the war-affected people in the North and East is planned to be used for demographic genocide in the East at the village of Kachchat-kodi in the Paddip-pazhai division of Batticaloa district, according to Eastern Provincial council member R. Thurairatnam. The village, which was predominantly Tamil a few years ago and was affected by ...
Serious doubts have emerged regarding the future investigations into the mass grave at Matale where the remains of 156 persons have been found. In today's press it was reported that the Judicial Medical Officer in charge of the investigation has been transferred (JMO in charge of Matale mass grave also to be transferred -- Sri Lanka Mirror, May 20, 2013). Furthermore, it is also ...
The standing committee of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) on Rule of Law at its meeting on 10th May decided to express its concern on the appointment of a commission regarding the unearthing of the mass grave in Matale, when in fact what is necessary is to proceed under the normal Law of the Country. Commissions of inquiry has throughout our history has been a modus adapted to ...
25°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the SE at 5 MPH
Like his previous film, the slow-burn, emotionally rending masterpiece Take Shelter (2011), Jeff Nicholss Mud balances precariously on a characters intense belief in something that may or may not be so. The stakes are decidedly different in the two films, although emotionally they are very ... ...
Stepping up the process of colonisation of the country of Eezham Tamils, the occupying Sri Lanka has brought in 1,500 Sinhalese in buses to Musali DS division in Mannaar District, which is bordering the North Western and North Central provinces. The occupying Colombo government had already planned to settle down five thousand Sinhalese families from the South in Mannaar district in an attempt to ...
The Head Office and the Colombo District Office of the National Police Commission (NPC) will be shifted to a new office premises located in BMICH, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo with effect from June 1, National Police Commission release said. The new address and the telephone numbers are as follows: National Police Commission, Building No. 06, Bandaranaike International Memorial Conference ...
Anushka Sharma will start shooting for Anurag Kashyap's 'Bombay Velvet'. However, the film will not be shot in Mumbai, but in Sri Lanka. Reason being that the skyline of the island city has changed over the decades and the upcoming monsoon could affect the ...
By Shihar Aneez and Ranga Sirilal COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lanka's opposition parties and trade unions accused the government on Tuesday of threatening state employees with the sack if they took part in planned street protests against a sharp rise in electricity prices. Only a few hundred people joined the demonstrations, coordinated by the political opposition and trade unions, despite ...
Manama, May 21 (BNA)-- State Minister for Foreign Affairs Ghanim bin Fadhl Al-Buainin received today Sri Lankan Ambassador to Bahrain Anura Mudiyanselage Rajakuruna. They discussed bilateral relations and issues of common interest. A O Q BNA 1753 GMT ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
I caught a cab from the Belfast International Airport, and within about 10 or 15 minutes was at the Hilton ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Sri Lanka SourceSri Lanka Source: The latest news in Sri Lanka
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Sri Lanka Source is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Sri Lankan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Sri Lankan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Sri Lanka news, the weather forecast for Sri Lanka you'll find it all in the Sri Lanka Source.
From Colombo to Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Source should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has reiterated that Katchatheevu, the fishing islet has to be retrieved back by India in an endeavour to provide a permanent solution to the problem of Indian fishermen.
In a letter to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today, Jayalalithaa has recalled the various instances in which fishermen were harassed for fishing near Katchatheevu, which is often counted as crossing the Indian borders.
Jayalalithaa in her letter also referred to the case filed by her in the Supreme Court in this regard.
On the issue of safety and security of fishermen, she said that Prime Minister should take urgent steps to retrieve the islet and the surrounding areas from Sri Lanka.
She also submitted to the Prime Minister, an unanimous resolution passed by the State Assembly for retrieval of Katchatheevu.
Katchatheevu is a controversial uninhabited island administered by Sri Lanka. This island was given to Sri Lanka by India in 1974 on a conditional basis. It has a Catholic shrine and has been declared as a sacred area by the government of Sri Lanka. (ANI)
- Fergie Premier League manager of year
- Contostavlos Simpsons relation on rocks
- Will Smith not a swimmer
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Justin Bieber booed at award function
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- Over 7 million people now receiving HIV treatment in Africa - UN report
- New iPhone App Speeds Care of Heart Attack Victims
- Jeremy Clarkson pokes fun at Angelina Jolies double mastectomy
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids linked to reduced future mental health
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- A Dead Cat Bounce for Gold Prices
- Law gives USDA limited role in regulating biotech crops
- Commodities markets summary
- Commodities markets summary
- Iran Bars Candidacies of Rafsanjani Ahmadinejad Aide
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- Financial Times Introduces New Spanish Language Service
- Jailing Journalists Over Phone Hacking Will Damage Britains Image Abroad Says John Whittingdale
- i Assistant Editors Letter When the odds are stacked against you...
- Enhanced contract payments for Australian cricket eves
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- Afghan women getting jailed for moral crimes
- 72 pc women experience constipation bowel problems during pregnancy
- Do men behave better than women while traveling
- Mutual fund and ETF leaders united on investor education
- Why Mutual Funds Are Such a Rip-Off
- Fitch Affirms VRDP Shares of Two Nuveen Closed-End Funds On Additional Issuance
- A Raft of Portfolio Manager Changes at Janus
- Invesco Canada announces cash distributions for TSX-listed PowerShares ETFs
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sri Lanka Source headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Tamil Nadu wants Sri Lanka to return Katchatheevu
- Take steps to retrieve Katchatheevu Jayalalithaa tells PM
- Sri Lanka Indian housing aid to be used for demographic genocide in East
- Sri Lanka Serious Doubts On Inquiry Into Mass Graves
- Sri Lanka Concern Over Appointment of Commission