TOKYO - Japan's trade deficit rose substantially more than expected in the month April to 879.9 billion yen ($8.6 billion), which is a 70% jump over the trade deficit during the corresponding month a year earlier, the Finance Ministry said Wednesday.. The deficit, for the tenth consecutive month, was wider than what many economists had forecast. A survey from the Nikkei business daily ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nuveen Investments, a leading global provider of investment services to institutions as well as individual investors, today announced the Board of Trustees of certain Nuveen municipal bond closed-end funds approved a series of mergers. The mergers are subject to customary conditions, including shareholder approval at annual shareholder meetings later this ...
/enpproperty--> Former fund manager Li Xuli went on trial accused of insider trading at Shanghai Higher People's Court on Thursday. Li used to be chief investment officer at the Bank of Communications Schroder Fund Management. He was previously given a four-year sentence and fined 18 million yuan ($2.93 million) for profiting from insider trading in November 2012. An investigation by ...
The Bank of New York Mellon Corp. plans to hire about 100 people for its wealth management business, especially sales personnel, to capitalize on individuals' growing need for help with their ...
29°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the SW at 14 MPH
Over the Hedge
The computer-animated comedy Over the Hedge, which is being billed as the new movie from the creators of Shrek and Madagascar even though the only thing they have in common is the fact that they were all produced by DreamWorks (no, wait, co-director Tim Johnson g ... ...
Pension plans can make all the difference in how financially well off U.S. retirees are, Gallup's annual Economy and Personal Finance survey indicates. The survey of 2,000 U.S. adults, including 636 retirees, conducted April 4-14, found U.S. retirees with $50,000 or more in annual income were twice as likely as retirees below that threshold to have a work-sponsored pension plan as a major ...
) Inc. and its affiliate AlphaPro Management Inc. (collectively "Horizons ETFs") are pleased to announce the distribution amounts per unit (the "Distributions") for certain of the Horizons ETFs family of exchange traded funds (the "ETFs"), for the period ...
) has announced that its flagship U.K. goals-based Strategic Portfolios have hit 1 billion in assets under management following strong client demand for the funds' pioneering investment approach. Launched in February 2010, the SEI Strategic Portfolios are a suite of seven risk-rated, multi-asset funds underpinned by a manager-of-manager investment structure that offers retail investors ...
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Wells Fargo Advantage Income Opportunities Fund (NYSE MKT: EAD), the Wells Fargo Advantage Multi-Sector Income Fund (NYSE MKT: ERC), the Wells Fargo Advantage Utilities and High Income Fund (NYSE MKT: ERH), and the Wells Fargo Advantage Global Dividend Opportunity Fund ...
May 22, 2013 /CNW/ - A Hearing Panel of the MFDA's Central Regional Council has issued its Reasons for Decision in connection with the disciplinary hearing held ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Holiday Inn South Beach, Miami Beach
Located on the beach and equipped with a number of resort facilities this good standard 3 star Holiday Inn is ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Sri Lanka SourceSri Lanka Source: The latest news in Sri Lanka
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Sri Lanka Source is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Sri Lankan news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Sri Lankan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Sri Lanka news, the weather forecast for Sri Lanka you'll find it all in the Sri Lanka Source.
From Colombo to Jaffna, the Sri Lanka Source should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Sri Lanka denied Wednesday plans to roll back power sharing mechanisms with the Tamil minority despite attempts to stop long overdue elections in the former war-torn north.
Technology and Research Minister Champika Ranawaka announced Tuesday plans to present an act in parliament next week to abolish provincial councils and the India-backed 13th constitutional amendment, reports Xinhua.
The main Tamil political party, Tamil National Alliance (TNA), has insisted that it would not contest the upcoming elections in the north if police and land powers were taken away by the government.
However, acting cabinet spokesman and Petroleum Minister Anura Priyadarshana Yapa dismissed such moves and insisted that the government had no plans as yet to change the constitution.
"The president expressly said a Parliamentary Select Committee consisting of all political parties can discuss if there will be any changes to the present constitution, especially to the 13th amendment.
"In that scenario, no steps have been taken to change the status quo. These arguments have been going on for a long time, these are not new arguments. But the 13th amendment is still there.
"There have been no discussions to change the amendment up to now," he said. ...
- I learnt magic tricks from mother Jesse Eisenberg
- Chinese artist Ai Weiwei rages against state abuses in Dumbass song
- Rediff.com reports fiscal 2013 fourth quarter and year-end results
- Madonna recalls meeting Kim Kardashian as a baby
- Dannii Minogue struggled with life in spotlight after sister Kylie rose to fame
- Breakthrough research shows Vit C kills drug resistant TB
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Liberace role meant so much after cancer battle says Michael Douglas
- Find how fit you are for your age
- Novel concept advances development of universal flu vaccine
- Twister that hit Oklahoma caused $2 bn in damage
- FBI kill Florida man known to Boston bombing suspects
- US Senate panel clears key immigration reform bill
- Iran allows eight candidates for presidential race
- North Korean special envoy visits China to win confidence
- Global obesity epidemic linked to addiction to unhealthy food
- Fish oil supplements may help cut risk of diabetes heart disease
- Over 10 new oil fields found in Siberia
- Indications Stock futures sink rattled by Fed China data
- US STOCKS-Futures fall on stimulus plan concerns China data
- May 23 The PM’s P-tactics Prorogue and Peru – and other letters to the editor
- John Humphrys and Roger Alton make headlines at London Press Club awards | Media Monkey
- Crossword blog Don Manleys 50th crossword birthday
- Irish Times CIO Johnny Ryan On The Digital Future Of Newspapers
- Woolwich attack - why editors were right to publish horrific pictures
- Do women get two types of orgasms
- Sonia Gandhi Nooyi among Indians in Forbes worlds top 100 Most Powerful Women List
- Daily dose of calcium helps women live longer
- Oz girls team coach says more women to pursue cricket career following pay rise
- Oz women cricketers Down Under on top of world after hefty pay-hike
- April sees Japan trade deficit jump to 879.9bn yen
- UK urged by IMF to bring forward high value spending
- Nuveen Closed-End Funds’ Board Approves Fund Mergers
- Fund manager accused of insider trading
- BNY Mellon to hire 100 to help investors with wealth management
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sri Lanka Source headlines delivered to your inbox.
- VIDEO Govt resorting to usual ploy of sticking LTTE label - UNP
- One lane closed from Punchi Borella to Maradana
- Australia sends back more Sri Lankans
- Sri Lanka eyes per capita income of $4000 by 2016
- Emirates set to add more Sri Lanka flights